(Hiring autorickshaw drivers is tough. They see you're the white guy, and then you open your mouth and they know you're an American, so the rate they quote you is probably 5-10x the going rate for locals. 200 INR for a 5 minute ride is peanuts to me, so I would happily pay it, but my Indian friends would hate me for it if they knew; I'm considered a market spoiler, who's either driving up prices or making it so that whites get more attention from drivers.)
Maybe it's just a matter of time. We've got rickshaws, and we've got e-bikes. Put the two together.
Here in NY they're called "limited use motorcycles" and the laws are pretty strict.
I disagree. I've been seeing too many bicycles with ZPMs on board. These things could (highly theoretically) outrun my 328i.
And that's not allowed.
The regulations which made incandescent light bulbs illegal by mandating specific lumens-per-watt minimums, are now being rolled back. [ http://tinyurl.com/make-bulbs-incandescent-again ]
I'm a big fan of LED lighting. It's got to be low color temperature, high CRI lighting, but the right LED's are great, and they're energy efficient.
BUT at the same time, I am opposed to the government deciding what kind of light bulbs I am allowed to buy. This is the kind of thing the market can decide on its own, so I'm glad to see the regulations being scrapped.
I fear that the same kind of "efficiency requirements" will some day be used to create a de facto ban on gasoline and diesel powered automobiles.
...but THIS time you MUST listen to the boy who cried wolf!
- 1967: Dire Famine Forecast By 1975
- 1969: Everyone Will Disappear In a Cloud Of Blue Steam By 1989 (1969)
- 1970: Ice Age By 2000
- 1970: America Subject to Water Rationing By 1974 and Food Rationing By 1980
- 1971: New Ice Age Coming By 2020 or 2030
- 1972: New Ice Age By 2070
- 1974: Space Satellites Show New Ice Age Coming Fast
- 1974: Another Ice Age?
- 1974: Ozone Depletion a ‘Great Peril to Life
- 1976: Scientific Consensus Planet Cooling, Famines imminent
- 1980: Acid Rain Kills Life In Lakes
- 1978: No End in Sight to 30-Year Cooling Trend
- 1988: Regional Droughts (that never happened) in 1990s
- 1988: Temperatures in DC Will Hit Record Highs
- 1988: Maldive Islands will Be Underwater by 2018 (they’re not)
- 1989: Rising Sea Levels will Obliterate Nations if Nothing Done by 2000
- 1989: New York City’s West Side Highway Underwater by 2019 (it’s not)
- 2000: Children Won’t Know what Snow Is
- 2002: Famine In 10 Years If We Don’t Give Up Eating Fish, Meat, and Dairy
- 2004: Britain will Be Siberia by 2024
- 2008: Arctic will Be Ice Free by 2018
- 2008: Climate Genius Al Gore Predicts Ice-Free Arctic by 2013
- 2009: Climate Genius Prince Charles Says we Have 96 Months to Save World
- 2009: UK Prime Minister Says 50 Days to ‘Save The Planet From Catastrophe’
- 2009: Climate Genius Al Gore Moves 2013 Prediction of Ice-Free Arctic to 2014
- 2013: Arctic Ice-Free by 2015
- 2013: Arctic Ice-Free by 2016
- 2014: Only 500 Days Before ‘Climate Chaos’
- 1968: Overpopulation Will Spread Worldwide
- 1970: World Will Use Up All its Natural Resources
- 1966: Oil Gone in Ten Years
- 1972: Oil Depleted in 20 Years
- 1977: Department of Energy Says Oil will Peak in 90s
- 1980: Peak Oil In 2000
- 1996: Peak Oil in 2020
- 2002: Peak Oil in 2010
- 2005 : Manhattan Underwater by 2015
- 1970: Urban Citizens Will Require Gas Masks by 1985
- 1970: Nitrogen buildup Will Make All Land Unusable
- 1970: Decaying Pollution Will Kill all the Fish
- 1970s: Killer Bees!
My fav is Tiny Tim singing about the melting ice caps.
They make their living selling fear, what did you expect from them.
If you want the entertaining read, there is none better than John Nolte:
[ https://tinyurl.com/y57japnc ]
He references the original citations as well, which include highlighted newspaper clippings:
[ https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions ]
If you consider these 50 predictions to be hypotheses, and the time since they were made passing without doomsday coming to be the experiment ... then "the science is settled" as they say.
I'd be interested in climate science if there were such a thing.
For the text clients:
'Climate Change Trans Counselling' by Will Franken (inspired by Greta Thunberg)
It gets a little stale in the middle.
Tiny Tim's Melting Ice Caps performance:
Oh, heh, that URL is not right. I should have checked it before posting.
This is more true to his performance:
Sure feels like the sky is falling today. Rain and very heavy wind all over the east coast.
The IGlet and I went out to run a quick errand before starting the work day (returning some rental equipment involved in our drive-in church service for Easter -- and yes, we cleared it with the town *before* doing it) and while out we got caught in the stormy weather. We had to try four different routes to get home before we found one that wasn't blocked by fallen trees and/or power lines.
We watched a complete idiot back his car directly into a 13KV wire. I suppose it wasn't energized because he is still alive.
When we got home, the power was out. Generator ... dead battery. I had to jump start it from the truck. Then I discovered that there was something wrong with the wiring -- after switching to generator power, only half of the house was energized. I scratched my head for a while on this, then connected to the other half of the brain compute cluster (Ragnar) and his best guess was something I had briefly thought about -- perhaps it was a malfunctioning circuit breaker.
Thankfully I had another 30 amp breaker on hand. Even though it's the wrong shape for the interlock, it fits, and it works.
What a day! Work started at lunchtime.
I want to wish IGnatius T Foobar a very happy earth day.
Everyday should be Earth day, you should care about the planet everyday not just one day a year.